Railway Preparations for Kumbh Mela 2019
MEMBER ROLLING STOCK (MRS) RAILWAY BOARD AND GM/NCR INTERACT WITH THE MEDIA on RAILWAYS’ ROLE IN, AND PREPARATIONS FOR, THE KUMBH MELA-2019
On the 25th of October, 2018, Member Rolling Stock (MRS) Railway Board, Shri Rajesh Agarwal and General Manger, North Central Railway, Shri Rajiv Chaudhry interacted with the press and media on the subject of preparations of the Railways for the Kumbh Mela, scheduled to be organized in Prayagraj in 2019. Speaking on the subject, MRS Railway Board said that technology will be used in a big way to improve the travel experience of the pilgrims and tourists alike who will be coming to the Kumbh Mela. “We will bring in ‘MEMU’ trains that will be based in Kanpur and will prove to be a major benefit to NCR during and after the conclusion of the Kumbh Mela. We will also be running 5 special trains for Non-Resident Indians from Allahabad to Delhi, which will be completely AC-IInd Class and will have facilities equivalent to the latest rakes of ‘Humsafar’ express. Superior cleanliness will also be ensured by way of mechanised cleaning” he added. MRS congratulated NCR saying that “NCR is doing tremendous work under the leadership of it’s General Manager and I am sure that the Zonal Railway will be more than able to handle the challenges of the Kumbh Mela”.
GM/NCR, Shri Rajiv Chaudhry briefed the press and media in detail about the preparations being made by NCR, NR and NER to effectively handle the Kumbh Mela rush and to ensure the comfort, safety and security of the pilgrims and tourists coming to Prayagraj to participate in-and during the-Kumbh Mela-2019. The major points enumerated by GM/NCR are as follows:
Kumbh Mela 2019 – Brief on Present Status of Works
On Railway’s own initiative:
- AGM/NCR is nominated as Nodal officer for ensuring necessary coordination amongst three Railways and the local Civil Administration.
- To supplement the Railways infrastructure facilities for the pilgrims, 46 works costing more than Rs 700 Cr. will be completed by Nov. 2018. Out of these, 17 works have already been completed.
- Four big enclosures to house about 10,000 pilgrims are under construction at Allahabad Jn. – Two will be completed by Oct.2018 and Two by Nov.2018. These enclosures will have vending stalls, water booths, ticket counters, LCD TVs, PA System, CCTVs and separate toilets blocks for Ladies and Gents.
- Skywalk connecting to main FOBs at Allahabad Jn. is in advanced stage and will be completed by Oct.2018.
- New Platform no.11 with washable apron will be completed by Oct.2018.
- Main FOB at Allahabad Jn. connecting all tracks widened by 6 metre.
- A new FOB at Allahabad station on Delhi end will be completed by Nov.18.
- Subedarganj is being developed as terminal station with a provision of new platform, new FOB and extension of existing Platform andFOB. All works will be completed by Nov.2018.
- Allahabad Chheoki – Construction of approach road of 1.24 Km and drain of 1.15 Km since completed.
- Allahabad Chheoki – Platform surface widened; PF sheds (21 bays); Hydrant Pipeline; Toilets for Ladies/Gents/Divyang etc. since completed.
- Development of Prayag Station as Coaching Terminal – 5 new Platforms; 2 Washing Lines and new Station Building with Basement + 2 stories will be completed by Nov.2018.
- Prayag Station – A new FOB; PF sheds 17 nos. and development of circulating area on Second Entry will be completed by Nov.2018.
- During six main bathing days (D-1 to D+2), 800 Originating Mela Special Trains will be run by Railways.
- Railways has planned to operate nine Special Tourist Package Trains from different Zones during Kumbh Mela.
- Also, Railway have planned to operate 5 Special Trains for transporting 5000 Pravasi Bhartiya from Allahabad to New Delhi.
Civil Authority Items:
- Widening of Six RUBs in Allahabad city has been completed. Six new ROBs will be completed by October, 2018 and Twoby November, 2018.
- Construction of new FOB at Allahabad City Station as deposit work costing Rs.9.99 Cr. will be completed by Dec. 2018. Part funds of Rs.4.99 Cr. provided by State Govt. in last week of July 2018.
- Naini – Raising of surface level of Platform; Boundary wall with grill; Toilets, Urinals, Water booths and Booking Counters are being constructed as Deposit work of State Govt. costing 11.37 Cr. Part payment of Rs. 4.55 Cr. received from State Govt. in the last week of July,2018.
- At three Level Crossings on Varanasi-Allahabad road and two Level Crossings onPrayag- Lucknow road, Railway is increasing length of the booms and widening the approach roads, as desired by State Govt.
- Railway has granted permission for construction of temporary road from level crossing No. 78A at Bakshi Bandh via Sanjay Nagar to Kundan Guest House RUB.
- Railway has permitted the construction of Community Toilets/Public Toilets on its land by Allahabad Municipal Corporation, in order to prevent open defecation in Allahabad city.
- Railway has agreed for NOC for construction and development work to be undertaken by Allahabad Development Authority in Railway area below the ROB at DSA Ground near ‘KhusrubaghChauraha’.
Railway has granted permission for:
Construction of temporary Helipad in village Hariharvan (Jhusi).
Construction of temporary road on Railway land near Naval Kishore Roy Marg.
- Handing over of Curzon Bridge on Ganga at Phaphamau to U.P. Govt. to develop as Picnic Spot – Waiting for State Govt. to deposit scrap value (Rs.7.42 Cr.) of the bridge.
- Pilgrims’ movement plan and holding area plans within Railway premises have been finalized for all the stations in Allahabad area.
“We will be using advanced analytics, computer simulations and the latest cutting-edge technology to ensure that the rush of pilgrims during the Kumbh Mela is managed effectively and also that the Mela experience is pleasant and memorable for the pilgrims and tourists visiting the great city of Prayagraj” Said GM/NCR.